Monday, August 07, 2006

The Ballad of Kevin Wanting To Get It On With Ali G

I saw Talladega Nights- The Ballad of Ricky Bobby this weekend, as it seems many other folks did, and if you were one of the lucky ones who did see it, you know why I just have to say...

SASHA BARON COHEN MOTHERFUCKING RULES MY SCHOOL.

Jean Girard, effete French race car driver and "villain" (I guess?) of the film, emerges from this hi-frickin'-larious movie, as an out of the blue mascot for gay equality. From his first appearance- playing fusion jazz and smoking a slim cigarette- he crystalizes every stereotype of a haughty, elitist fag that stupid, ignorant, ugly red state America believes in. But Talladega, and this is why I fucking love it so FUCKING much, doesn't hold Jean as a target of ridicule- The movie laughs at the attitudes of the other characters towards Jean, who's portrated as smart, symapthetic, and CAPABLE. Ricky Bobby and his crew learn to be scared of Jean! He's so good at what he does that he instills humility in cocky, swaggery America. If you haven't seen it, you MUST. Let's support portrayals of kick-ass gay men in mainstream frat boy movies!

AAAAHHHH! God, I fucking love this flick. Get me the GLAAD Media Awards on the phone, and start engraving Sasha Baron Cohen's name now.

Oh, and the sloppy kiss at the end wasn't too bad, either. Yay!

XOXO, Kevin :-)

PS- Disclaimer: Anchorman is totally still my favorite Will Ferrel movie, mind you, because it starts the only woman I'd ever marry.

PPS- I'd also like to campaign this fine film for the MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss.