
Obviously, I have unwavering all-time musical loves- Dolly, Madonna, k.d. lang, Cyndi Lauper, The Ramones, Queen, etc. Each of these represents something permanent and steadfast in my temperament and character. (I'm like The Queen!) But in 1995, I was (a) almost comically fat, (b) discovering the world of non-Parton country music, and (c) always looking for an upbeat song about a strong, assertive Southern woman. And thus, when I discovered "Any Man of Mine," the shit hit the fan.
During the Woman In Me years, I limited my Shaniamania to pretty much scream-singing while driving around in a car. (Much to the "amusement" of my friends.) When Come On Over landed, however, the rest of the world caught on to the sultry genius that is Twain. My adoration of her felt cheap, common, easy. Certainly, I loved the hell out of "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" and "That Don't Impress Me Much," but when pop-flavored country songs permeate so deeply that overly-tanned housewives sing them on their 'girls night out,' I... I just can't get with that. And so I (shamefully) backed off of Shania a little. When Up! was released, I had a pretty sizeable relapse, and Roommate even got to see the mania firsthand when I saw Shania perform "Gonna Getcha" on the CMAs that year. But again, I backed off.
While shuffling through songs, during my feverish beer-fueled writing sessions, I heard the opening strains of "What Made You Say That," one of my all-time favorite songs (and one that is ideal to include on country mixes, by the way). It all came flooding back. The other real sucker punch came when Shania covered the most beautiful song ever written- "Coat of Many Colors- as part of Dolly's Kennedy Center Honors tribute. Click here to watch.
I mean, she rules. She just 100% rules. That's all I have to say. I'm very, very glad that Shania's talent and humor are back in my life.
Also, I know that this post is weird and boring and whatever, but I fucking love Shania Twain, god damn it.
Peace out, all. XOXO KEVIN.
