Thursday, June 21, 2007

I see 'em...


I see your dang True Colors.

I'm sorry it's been so long since Monday, when I saw the epic, life-changing True Colors Tour at Radio City, and I haven't spoken about the experience. I've been trying to organize my thoughts. It was a lot to process, believe me. I had the privilege of attending with my dear, beloved friends Matt and Nick. It was really, sincerely a lovely event.

OK, so let's go in order of performance...

THE GOSSIP. I have died and gone to queer-punk-disco heaven. I just can't even process how much Beth Ditto's "Hi, I'm a male, homeless version of Janis Joplin" voice wrecks me. She wore this purple pleather dress that gave her rolls in every conceiveable place. She's the hotness. I'm obsessed. So check it: The Gossip, following their spectacular performance, was having a meet-and-sign in the downstairs lounge, so I went down, got their CD, complimented them, etc. They are literally Garbage Pail Kids. Scabs. Little bits of paper stuck to them. Sweat. Dirt. Yay!! Love 'em!!

THE DRESDEN DOLLS. Uuumm, I kind of don't get it.

DEBBIE HARRY. The clear winner, surprisingly, for "Most Controversial True Colors Tour Appearance," she didn't hew to traditional Blondie crowd-pleasin' classics, and instead opted for her past and present solo material. (Note to disappointed gays: She's appearing as herself, not as Blondie. You wouldn't expect any of the other acts to sing Blondie songs, so leave her alone. Also, if you're a real fan of someone, you don't go see them just to hear shit you already know. Suck it.) Her dancing skills are truly badass.

ERASURE: Oh motherfucker, hold me. Magic. Dancey, insane magic. Spectaaaaaacular back-up singers. "A Little Respect" was a bombastic crowd-pleaser.

CYNDI LAUPER: The lady of the hour opened her set with "Hole In My Heart (That Goes All the Way To China)," which is SO fucking obscure and amazing, and naturally is a favorite of mine. She sang this song wearing a Pride flag version of one of those rice paddy farmer hats. I was BLOWN AWAY when she launched into "Goones R Good Enough"- She never, never sings it. Ever. It was just for me. It was a gift. And then she dedicated "I'm Gonna Be Strong" to her late aunt, who had passed away the night before. Shifting between hilarious and touching, Cyndi was... Ugh, just the best. Better than usual. Perfection.

I am full and pride. Really and truly, have a smashing PRIDE everyone!!

xoxo KEVIN.

No comments: