Saturday, September 01, 2007

Turn the Radio Up to that Sweet Sound...

As I was making 3 round trips to Brooklyn today, the unthinkable happened: the CD player in my car jammed and my ipod ran out of power. This forced me to do something I don't often do. I had to listen to the radio. Labor Day weekend is not really an ideal to be driving, so I got to hear quite a lot. For some reason or another, I was listening to Z100.
Observations:
1.Is anyone out there besides Rhianna making songs? You wouldn't know it by the playlist
2.Wait- is Fall Out Boy a gay band?
Lyrics:
One night and one more time
Thanks for the memories
even though they weren't so great
He tastes like you only sweeter
I can't be the only one to see that...
3.And finally- there is a new Britney song. She does a lot of moaning. She's good at that. Honestly, if someone this far gone can make a comeback maybe there's hope for Lindsay after all. But I digress...
Mostly I was angered that this is what America listens to. While I was humming my fiftieth chorus of "'ella 'ella hey hey" A sudden wave of Nostalgia hit. I could picture my twelve year old self dancing around my bedroom; deciding what Gap shirt to wear with my Gap jeans, Gap socks and Bass Bucs-hoping that Ace of Base would come on before I had to leave for school. (Sidebar: even though it is the worst music ever made, I still have an affinity for early 90s dance music. So much so that while driving across the country with Kevin and The Gayrab; Joe would yell "Leigh Somerville!" every time a 90s song came on-in an attempt to show his displeasure. This Pavlovian reaction comes from when Joe, Gayrab and I drove Canada in my car for 10 hours with a largely early 90s CD selection- and Joe trapped in the backseat.) Anyway, this sentimental haze made me decide that all music has its purpose-even that of Z100.
+ = '93.
-L
PS-If you can place the title of this post, (or better yet sing it) and you can cook, and you like french fries a lot-there's a good chance I'll marry you.I'm just putting that out there.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

ok, whore. the painting should be done by now. let's see the pictures!