Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Poncho Day, take me home...

Doesn't it feel like the world is in chaos? From the the Roberts confirmation hearings (which actually LOOK LIKE an iceberg headed for America... I mean, you can SEE it coming... Truly creepy), which typify the evil in the world, to Massachusetts RE-affirming gay marriage, which equals the goodness in the world, to all the hurricane madness in the South, which points a big finger at the ***assholes*** in charge, etc. etc. etc. ... I mean, it just feels like SO MUCH major stuff is going on that it honestly could be The End of Days. It's a really creepy feeling, I think, to realize that big decisions are being made all around us, one after the other, that are going to impact us for YEARS. Can't things just be a little unimportant for a while?!

Usually, when I'm feeling this melodramatic, I drink.

But not this time. This time, I'm taking solace in a stiffer tonic-- "Martha" on NBC. If one things is allowed to be constant in the epic times we seem to be living in, it's that Martha Stewart is fucking unbelieveable. Now, she's been on for two days, and they've been GOLDEN. From her premiere with Marcia Cross trying in vain to fold a t-shirt to laminating daisies to put on Elmo's lunchbox, this show is like a warm, cuddly blanket of mediocrity, buffering me from a world in turmoil. And yesterday was also Poncho Day. Why? Because ponchos are a good thing. AND THEY ARE.

I don't want to hear about "Brownie" get ousted at FEMA; I want to hear about Martha being in prison and being cut off from the nutmeg she needed for her baked apples.

I don't want to hear Arnold Schwarzenegger devaluing my civil rights; I want to see someone make scrambled eggs, and then serve them back to me IN THE SHELLS.

And so, dear readership... If you need me, I'll be in front of my DVR, with a mug of decaf green tea, watching Martha make blintzes with Susan Lucci, and trying desperately to drown out the noises of the coming apocalypse.

Sincerely,
KEVIN :-)