Tuesday, December 18, 2007

CLASH OF THE CHOIRS!

Few reality television ventures have intrigued me as much as this one. The premise: five music "superstars" form choirs from their hometowns. America votes. The winning choir takes home $250,000 for a local charity. What's that you say? you missed it? No problemo:
Up first was Team Lachey /Cincinnati. Home of WKRP.
The song: Natascha Bedingfield's Unwritten. Lame choice, my Miller Lite loving friend. I mean really? Disappointing.
The verdict: Color me underwhelmed. They do get bonus points for the use of Jazz hands and some half-decent choreography. Prop member: None. Way to cast on talent, Nick.
Kicking it up a notch was Team Roland/Houston. Texas. Gross. But....
The song: George Michael's Freedom Yes Yes Yes. Correct. Way to step out of Beyonce's shadow with the BEST song selection of the evening.
The verdict: Looking good, I have to say. Prop Members: Katrina Survivors AND a father and daughter who are watching their mother/wife go through chemo. "they sing for her"
Looking very gargoyle-like was the leader of Team Bolton/New Haven.
The song: Bon Jovi's Livin' on a prayer. This song would have been a close second...except
The verdict:Mr. soft-rock king: This is clash of the choirs not clash of the soloists. And yours wasn't even that good. I think the country dude said it best when he said "My mom would kill me if I didn't say something nice about Micheal Bolton". Moving on to... Team Shelton/Oklahoma City. Oy.
The song: Tom Cochrane's Life is a Highway. I truly hate when rock gets country-fied.
The verdict: Well, I think it was a tell-tale sign when Mr. Shelton admitted in rehearsals that he "doesn't read music." He then chose to play guitar rather than direct the choir. Curious. Prop members: 2, count em' two, members of the military, performing in uniform.
Last, but most certainly not least of the evening was Team LaBelle/Philadelphia
The song: He's got the world in his hands OK, clearly Team LaBelle is going the more traditional route...
The verdict: Well, we know where the talent in this room is. Fine. I give up. You win. For now...
-L

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm torn between my glorious home state and my current city! Maybe I should root for whom I think would win in a Lachey-LaBelle boxing match.