Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Queer Liberation, MTV style.

OK, so Room Raiders. You all know Room Raiders, right? For the uninitiated, it's structured as follows: one guy/girl has three potential girls/guys to choose from, and he/she must decide which one to date not based on photos or anything, but by rifling through their rooms. And the three girls/guys watch from the back of a van (randomly) and comment.

This show being on MTV, one of the following scenarios usually arises:
1) Some chick is going through a guy's room, she lays on his bed, and the guys in the van are like "Hell YES, son!" or something typically boy-esque.
2) A guy is going through a girl's room and goes right to the pantie drawer. That's right- PANTIES.
3) Kevin is amused, but his estimation of the human race is lowered a little bit.

OK, so I'm sitting here, "running lines" with Kate (ie- angrily eating celery) when I discover a LESBIAN EPISODE OF ROOM RAIDERS. This girl (something that starts with an N... Natalie? Nadine? Norma?)- a blonde (ha), taut little critter is scouring rooms while three girls (one who looks like Laurel Jacobsen, one who looks like a preppy Uma Thurman, and one... other one), and this happens: "N" finds handcuffs on Preppy Uma's bed, chains herself to it, and- MTV being softcore porn- writhes around or some shit. Newport Uma says, "DAY-UMN! Don't move! I'll be there in 10 minutes!"

ALSO- "Lesbian pile." I'm amazed.

ALSO- "N" is looking through one of the rooms, she finds a frilly top, and says, "So... you must be pretty girlie." The corresponding lezzie says, "I may be femme on the streets, but I'm butch on the sheets." Kevin screams and makes Kate call Alana.

ALSO- Lesbian Room Raiders also opens the door to the 3 chicks in the van just giving up and making out.

BOTTOM LINE- I just find it wildly heartening that a gay room raiders makes everyone involved look as completely deplorable and repugnant as their straight counterparts. When gays have the equal right to look like complete, fucking morons, can marriage be far behind?

KEVIN, with Pride :-)

PS- Ha ha. There's an ad for Dukes of Hazzard on, and it really does make me laugh when Jessica Simpson says, "Something's bounced up into my undercarriage." Ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just saw the first male gay room raiders episode. There was one defining moment to the episode:

While browsing through the first bedroom, the guy is examining the DVD collection. After picking up Clueless, he states he's not too "keen" on girlie movies, and that, "You can be gay, but you can't be 'gay.'" To which the van of potential suitors breaks out in several loud "As if!"s and "Whatever!"s that Alicia Silverstone couldn't even replicate. I thought at that point, the half-naked van inhabitants would just forget the scrawny guy criticizing their movie tastes and break out in "lesbian pile" like action in the van. Sadly, no, they had more restraint than that. Which is too bad, because they were all WAY hotter than the guy searching their rooms.