Tuesday, July 19, 2005

"Candy doesn't have a point. That's why it's candy."

I wanted to write something about this New York Times article, which infuriates me and quite frankly made me cry a little.

I wanted to write about my impending trip to Europe.

I wanted to write about "Fatal Attraction" taking New York by storm.

But I can't. All I can say is how deeply I was moved and how emphatically I was entertained by "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory." As far as 2005 movies go, "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" was fantasticly fun, "Sin City" was brilliant and gritty, and "Rize" was eye-opening in about 900 different ways. But this. BUT THIS. I am OBSESSED with this movie.

The scenes with Charlie (that dreadful little shit with Finding Neverland, who's actually unspeakably perfect in this movie) and his family (Noah Taylor & Helen Bonham Carter are his parents!!) are so simply done- by Tim Burton standards- and so touching... Kate and I were literally moved to tears. This movie has so much heart with the home scenes, and then it takes such a genuine glee in torturing the other kids in the factory scenes, which have this insane, playful menace... Like David LaChapelle directing "Shockheaded Peter."

And then, Mr. Depp. Mr. Depp. Oh god. I love this man beyond words. He's... I... Oh my god. I could scream. And I did. And I have. He's so funny. Oh my god. Why I bristle to say that any performance is ever better than Captain Jack Sparrow, I think this might be it.

I just... I need to go... I'm going to start crying again... "I wouldn't trade my family for anything, Mr. Wonka. Not for all the chocolate in the world."