HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY TO DOLLY PARTON!!
We paused earlier this week to observe the birthday of Martin Luther King, a great American hero and one of Kevin's all-time icons. Now, on Thursday, Jan. 19th, 2006, we pause to salute the greatest entertainer in the history of the world, Dolly Rebecca Parton, who was born unto us on this day in 1946 in Sevierville, Tennessee.
Dolly has given the world many gifts over the years- "I Will Always Love You" (which will always belong to her and not some disgusting crack addict from *hello* New Jersey), "Here You Come Again," "The Grass is Blue," "9 to 5" (both the song and her Oscar-worthy performance in the film), and the new "Travelin' Thru"- but I wanted to just take a moment to give my heartfelt shout-out to my favorite overlooked D.Part gem...
"I Can See the Light of a Clear Blue Morning"
I'm honestly not sure when this song was first written, but I first became aware of it as part of the "Straight Talk" soundtrack (though I really do think it was written and recorded earlier than that... maybe I'm wrong). Now, I'm on the whole a rather chipper person, but like anyone, there are times when I get down/gloomy/blue/sullen, and, literally, this song possesses such a shocking amount of blind optimism, that it can truly erase any bad mood, ever. So as Dolly enters her 7th decade, I just wanted to say:
Dolly, you're a genius.
I love you.
I'm coming to Dollywood in August. Get ready.
Happy 60th.
I adore you.
God bless you, Mountain Angel.
KEVIN :-)
