Friday, January 11, 2008

"What do they got? A lot of crap!"




In 1989 I fell in love. (with a movie) I saw the Little Mermaid four times in the theatre. I watched it on vhs until the tape literally died. I sang "Part of Your World" so often I'm sure my parents wanted to invest in ear plugs. No one was happier than I when Disney announced it was mounting a Broadway production- and no one more disappointed in the giant pile of crap that is currently playing at The Lunt- Fontanne Theatre. It was so bad it was comical. Kevin and I were openly laughing through the majority of the show. I didn't have the proper words to explain it. The lucite set, the horrible dancing, the fact that they moved on HEELYS - I didn't have the words- but one man does. Now that it has opened PLEASE see what Ben Brantley has to say because his prose is genius. "But Leigh- I don't read theatre reviews" Oh contrare. Just look at what he said about the set:
"a distracting set (by George Tsypin) awash in pastels gone sour and unidentifiable giant tchotchkes that suggest a Luau Lounge whipped up by an acid-head heiress in the 1960s. The whole enterprise is soaked in that sparkly garishness that only a very young child — or possibly a tackiness-worshiping drag queen — might find pretty."
C'mon, read it!

No comments: