My hair is fading from brunette to red, yet again. This causes me think about Christian and Ricky. These two are exact opposites. They also happen to be the men who color and cut the hair of the Somerville women.
C & R are employed at Nubest & Co in Manhassett. This place is the epitome of the gross, overindulgent north shore of Long Island. All cars are valet parked. There are people who run around and fetch lattes and bottles of water. I actually once heard a woman grumble: “Why are you handing me LAST MONTH’s issue of “W”.? God.”
Christian reminds of a character played by Wallace something on "Veronica’s Closet” (Yes, I just made that reference. Sorry) He is effeminate, but with a pole thrust up his back side. He is always suffering. According to people in the know (AKA Susan Somerville) He’s also still in the closet. At a hair salon.
Christian enters. He is too good for you, and he is already bored.
C: “ I HOPE you’re going to tell me we’re going darker, because you have WAY too much red pigment in your skin for your hair to be that color.”
Me: “Um…well I really would like it to be brown”
C: Good. Brown. Fine. (audible sigh)
He returns, slaps dye on my head and barks orders at his assistant. Cue eye roll and second audible sigh. Exit stage Left.
I don’t see him again, except for when I come back to tip him of course.
Ricky, on the other hand, is just what every girl wants in gay male hairstylist.
He is circa 50, has bleach blonde hair and is clearly a fan of black clothes that cling.
He is warm and Friendly: “Hi Sweetie, how are you?!?”
He is chatty: “How’s your mother? What are you doing for the holidays? Oh you flew in, was it a disaster? I have a cousin stranded in Des Moines…..”
And most important, he is constantly flinging flattering comments in my direction:
“That color looks superb on you” “I love Irish girls, wish I had freckles” and the crème de la crème…”Your eyes! If Elizabeth Taylor had blue eyes they would be just that shade. I swear.”
Christian and Ricky. A dichotomy of hairstyling prowess.
Monday, December 06, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment